Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Will You Marry Me? (Read : My Mum)

"Girl, he purposed to me last night!" I still remember that sentence came out from my friend Emma (not a real name, for God sake!)'s mouth just a couple weeks before Christmas. We started to talk about her wedding plans that supposed to be on June this year. Emma sounded very happy so that made me very excited as well. I am so happy for her. This is the man that she really loved and adored. For the last ten months she never stop talking about him.

Everything as smooth as we can imagine. The only problem was when Emma told me that Ardy (her fiancĂ©e, and of course this is not a real name, are you kidding me?) did not agree with the well-known designer's wedding gown that she picked. He thought it was too expensive. No, not because of he couldn't afford it, God knows he certainly can. But he just thought that spending sixty million Rupiah for a gown that you only going to wear once is a little bit too much. Gosh...typical men, they just don't get it, do they? But that didn't ruined my friend’s happiness at all, even she has to emptied her saving account to cover for her dream gown, who cares? This is a gown that she was always wanted we‘re talking about!

So don't blame me if I was a little bit shocked to hear that their engagement was over just at the end of last week. She was so upset when she called and asked me to pick her up at the airport. She really needed some time for herself so she flew to Bali to meet me and hope that she could forget all behind her.

As a good friend, I kept on convince her that this won't be the end of everything. They meant to be together, I know that. I am a witness of how they adore each other. So, what was not right in this relationship?

"I got into an argument and ended up fight with his mom, and he stood behind her so that we have to broke this engagement up," Emma was in tears when she told me the reason. A bell just ringing in my head. Omigosh...not another mother in law and daughter in law phenomenon again. For a long time now I heard about how difficult it is to bonded mother and daughter in law. And only God knows why men always compare women to their mother. And only God knows why women always feel uncomfortable with their mother in law.

Emma's situation reminds me to every girlfriends I have. Every single of them has the same problem. One of them even said that she prefer if her father in law come to visit them rather than the mother. Why? Yup, because she was always feel uncomfortable with her. As for my other friend, she was lucky enough that her mother in law live in a different continent with her so that they only connected by phone. Even that, every time her hubby calls his mom, she was always pretended that she was asleep so her mother in law wouldn't ask him to put her on the phone. Does she have any problem with her mother in law? Nope. As a matter of fact, her mother in law loves her very much since she has no daughter. But for no reason she was always speechless every time they tried to talk to each other. It was so awkward situation. Is that her mother in law’s fault? I don't think so. Is it my friend’s? Well, I don’t think so either, maybe? But this dilemma happens for a very long-long time, just ask our mums and our mum‘s mum. And it's probably going to be there for another long-long time. It was just a dilemmatic thing. Two women in one room can caused chaos, everybody knows that.

Emma a little bit calm down after I told her about this. She's not alone. She has got millions of women in the whole world understand her situation. Gosh, I hope that they will be back together again. I really do.

^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment