Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Salute! (My Review of ROLE Foundation)

Yesterday was an International Earth Day, so the foundation where I volunteer decided to celebrated the opening of its Eco Learning Park at the same day. First I would like to mention how did I get involved with this foundation. Last year, I felt like missing something in my life while I was actually had everything. I have so many privileges in life that make me kind of useless when it comes to deal with problems. I was so used to whining for everything and so used to get whatever I want and make me forgot about others. So yeah, last year I decided to change my life style. Oh no, it didn’t mean that I was willing to sacrifice all of my privileges, but at least I was willing to sacrifice some of my times, which I have plenty, to help others. That is why started from November last year I was involved with a foundation called ROLE (stands for River, Ocean, Land, and Ecology) as a voluntary teacher at their Women Vocational School. And it changed my perspective in life BIG time! First day I was teaching, my class was a small class, with only five students. But I was so surprised how these five ladies so enthusiast to learn everything. They were like hunger wolfs, willing to do anything for education, too bad they don’t have a facilities for that. But yeah, they were awesome students and they treated me like I was some kind of superstar or something. But the most touching moment for me was when I was finished my first class, one of my students names Wayan came to me and begged me not to give up on them just because they were so stupid. Aaah, of course I won’t! But honestly, I was choked while tried so hard to hold my tears. And believe it or not, the feeling inside me when she said that was unimaginable! That moment I wouldn’t trade for anything in my life.
So yeah, that pretty much how did I get involve with this foundation that has “Everyone Can Play a ROLE in Creating a World without Poverty and Reviving the Health of the Environment” as its motto from the beginning. And yesterday, we were opened our Eco Learning Park for the first time. But because of I was kind of busy lately, so I didn’t have much times to hang out in the foundation recently, specially since all of my students which were seaweed farmers having a harvest season so we had to closed the school temporarily until the season finished. That is why I was so surprised to see how the park going very well since the last time I visited there. Everyone must have done a very good job over there. Before I wasn’t sure about people in the foundation, about how do I get along with them since my world before was totally opposite theirs. I was a snobby little girl who always think of myself first. And all my life, I never thought of hang out with some people who talked about environment and helping others with passions. I was an ignorant and selfish human being until then. But like I said, these people changed my perspective in life and I am grateful for that. For making me feeling useful for others. The feeling I missed these whole time. As for yesterday event, I was so amazed by everyone in the foundation for doing such a wonderful job. To Mike, Tim, Lisa, Maggie, Wayan, Ajun, and everyone else, I salute you guys! And for other people who volunteers as for our sponsorships as well, I salute you too guys! For everyone who was joined us yesterday, I salute you! As for others who didn’t have any chances to take a part, then I want to remind you to start doing something, if you do care of course!
^_^
ROLE Foundation
Jl. Siligita 55, Nusa Dua Bali

www.rolefoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment