Saturday, August 7, 2010

Marhaban Yaa Ramadhan (Welcome Hey Ramadhan)

Ramadhan or, as everyone familiar with, fasting month is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, in which participating Muslims refrain from eating, drinking and sexual activities from dawn until sunset. Fasting is meant to teach the Muslim patience, modesty and spirituality. Ramadhan is a time for Muslims to fast for the sake of God (Arabic: الله‎, trans: Allah) and to offer more prayer than usual. During Ramadhan, Muslims ask forgiveness for past sins, pray for guidance and help in refraining from everyday evils, and try to purify themselves through self-restraint and good deeds. As compared to the solar calendar, the dates of Ramadhan vary, moving backwards about ten days each year depending on the moon. Ramadhan was the month in which the first verses of the Qur'an were revealed to the Islamic Prophet Muhammad.
As one of those Muslims, I was familiar with this spiritual tradition since I was seven as on that age I started to fast myself and never stop ever since. Oh well, kind of. To be honest with you, actually I did miss my fasting thingy once for the first time when I moved out from my parents house and felt like I had to take this opportunity to enjoy my freedom, but guess what? It didn't work for me. I was crying my head off on Idul Fitri when asked God for forgiveness. Yeah, felt terrible! Funny thing about Ramadhan for me was how I bond with this tradition tightly. I mean, am not going to lie to you by telling that am a good Muslim, because I am definitely not. I do pray but not as many as I should be. Five time a day was a bit too much for me, I have to admit it. But when it comes to fasting, I was always seriously in to it for a reason that only God knows. So yeah, this year's Ramadhan was no different and I am excited and can not wait for the month to come. And oh yeah, one more thing am excited about on Ramadhan is the food. As some of you guys probably knew already that I have this thing called sweet tooth, hence my desire for everything sweet was beyond believe, and part of Ramadhan tradition was how we were always brake our fasting with something sweet to balance our sugar level from fasting. When I was a kid, my mom was always provided us with so many sweet food during fasting month and by far I love this thing. Why? Because on normal day, we were never allowed to eat anything sweet before dinner but not during fasting month, my friend! Woo hoo!!
^_^

To all of my Muslim friends, happy Ramadhan..let's get ourselves forgiveness during this holy month..go fasting, you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment