Monday, April 11, 2011

Show Me The Money!

Remember those words above? Once brought up by Cuba Gooding Jr's character in the movie Jerry McGuire? Very funny, but no, am not going to talk about that movie here, that was so last century! Instead, this blog is actually has nothing to do with the film apart from the quote of course. So here's the thing, as you guys probably knew already, in courtesy of International Earth Day, the foundation where I volunteer at arranged for everyone to come and clean the Canggu beach in Bali. For the past two weeks, the foundation had been there at the beach cleaning up no matter it was rain or dry. Very dedicated indeed.
Because of my hectic schedule (yeah, right..ha!) I was just able to joined them on Sunday, even though I was like two hours late as my driver came to pick up late. But hey, at least I still came! Yeah, for me, it's not the matter whether you were late or not, but the main thing is that you came. It showed how you care, quoted what Mike, the founder of the foundation, said. I know some people will prefer to bail if they were like two hours late, but I thought if I really want to come and so I came, doesn't matter late or not late.
After finished the cleaning, it felt so good seeing the beach so amazingly beautiful and polished, especially after read in one of the most acclaiming tourism magazines in the world who said that our island of Gods was like a hell kind of place to go to as the beaches were so dirty and smelly. Oh well, hate to admit it, but they were saying the true at some point. Of course, not all of our beaches are dirty but some of them are. And to be honest with you, that is the reason why I was never hang out at the beach, I couldn't stand the smell. Hey am telling you guys, that's the truth! But now, we can tell them, "Eat that, suckers!" Ha. Am so pleased and most of that, am very proud of the foundation and its dedication to help this country in anyhow.
ROLE foundation has been established since five years ago and been helpful for so many people in the neighborhood. In wasn't a secret that in this country generally and Bali to be exact, girls are the weaken ones in the family. If one family wasn't lucky enough to have some kind of privileges in life therefore they couldn't afford sending all of their kids to school, then of course, the parents will send the boys instead of the girls. And it wasn't a surprise to everyone seeing how prostitution level in this country, and especially Bali as the top tourism destination, risen from time to time. It was all because of many girls in this country couldn't afford educations so all they have were just face and body to work for. An irony, of course, but that was a fact. And yeah, that is why ROLE foundation put their main interest in women. Because believe it or not, a country destiny actually depends on its women, not men. For sure, men are the rulers, but the decision makers were actually women. That is why, we're at ROLE foundation, built this Women School amongst other things such as organic botanical garden, organic restaurant, spa, snail farm and cafe, and so on. We want to educate women properly and provide jobs to them after they were finished their education. We want them to have a choice in their life so they won't be force to do something that they don't like. At the end of the day, we're aiming the goal of stopping poverty in this beloved country.
But here's the thing, I've been with them since three and a half years ago. Ever since I was at the foundation, I hardly found Indonesian up there apart from people who work for the foundation. Most of the volunteers are foreigners, what a surprise...NOT! Then when I was voluntarily teaching at their school, I found one shocking and embarrassing fact, the foundation was literally paid the girls to come to their school and join their program. I was like, WTF? Wasn't that enough for them that the foundation provided them with free education and guaranteed them with jobs afterward? For real? Yeah, that was actually true in a sad meaning. They were like, if they were at home, they can work for the family and make money for living. So for them to just live their house and go to school, the family only allow that to happen if they get some money. So even though they send their girls to school, a free school, they are not losing anything here. Shame on them! At this point, I can say out loud that I am embarrassing of my own people. But that's life, that's reality, I have to put myself up with it.
Yesterday on the beach cleaning day, I found another sad fact about my homies. Outside the people who work for the foundation and our sponsorships, there was hardly Indonesian there. In my knowledge, the foundation send the invitation to everyone, I even forward the e-invitation to everyone in my contact list, through email, Blackberry messenger, text messages, everything. But it didn't seem to open anyone's heart whatsoever. None of them even care. Most of Indonesian who came to the scene, either they work there or some girls who were married with foreigners and their husbands were there. And we were actually cleaning up their beach. I know, many of them were like, oh it's Sunday and it's my family day so I can't make it. I was like, take your bloody family with you! And it's not like we asked you to give up your family time whatsoever, as it was only approximately two hours kind of thing and it started in the morning so by noon it'll be finished. What a shame! While most of them are actually spending their precious family time on the beach anyway, but when it comes to cleaning it they all were bailed. This thing I really don't get it..at all. I mean, for poor family like the ones I mention above, I can justify the circumstances. But everyone else who doesn't have money issue, how come they bail us as well? And we're not even ask them to donate anything but their time, a little bit of their precious time. Can you imagine if we ask them to donate their money? Not a chance in hell.
But of course, that won't stop us at ROLE foundation to keep on doing what we believe. To keep on helping this country that we all love to improve. To put our believes in every women to carry the destiny of this beautiful country on their shoulders. To keep on fighting against poverty and make the environment better for our next generation. To do everything in our empowerment to give our best, no matter what. And for the moment, with a little help from our friends, we survive every challenge but soon we will need more helps as our programs are keep on develop bigger and bigger. So to everyone out there, to them who really care, to good Samaritans and saints, when you're looking for a place to be helped, now you know where to go.

^_^

For inquiries on how can you get involved with our programs, please do not hesitate to check on our website http://rolefoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment