Monday, April 11, 2011

Black Swan

Have you guys seen the movie Black Swan yet? Here's the thing, for these last couple of days, I went out for lunch at a small cafe down in Seminyak and without my knowing, there's a guy who was always been there too. I didn't take notice until last night when I was there for dinner, he approached and said hello then introduced himself as Shane, an OZ guy who came to Bali for holiday. He seemed decent, so yeah, we talked during our dinner and for some reasons got connected. For me, this was something unusual as I normally suck with new people. After a while our conversation then started to became a little bit personal when he asked me about the movie Black Swan. I then found out that he was an OCD guy as much as I am one. Have to admit it that it's not everyday you can find someone who understand about this weirdness in you, so yeah, finding one was a bless for me. In many occasions, people think of me as a weirdo or like my friends were always said that I was such an over reacting girl. But he didn't think of it that way. In many things, we have the same kind of disease, if you want to say it that way. He, just like me, obsessed to something symmetrical. Everything must put in order. I was like, "Hail to the yeah, brother!"
Okay, I may need to explain something to you here as you were probably confused about the connection between our weirdness and the movie Black Swan by now. So here's the thing, for those who already watched the movie, you guys must be aware that Nina, the character played by Natalie Portman in the movie, was kind of psycho OCD manic depressive girl. For some people it might sounds crazy, but actually she wasn't crazy. Not like what you were thinking she was. For your information, many of OCD people are smart hence their obsession to a perfection. Only unlike normal people, they tend to have some kind of rules to define perfection. For example, in my case, I can't stand of something asymmetrical. So just like Nina in the movie, when one of my nail broke I have to cut my other nails just to make them symmetrical. If I was outside and have no manicure tools to do so, I still do it with whatever tools I've got. So, bleeding finger tips are something not unusual for me. Only, unlike Nina in the movie, I wasn't that extreme and haven't really hurt myself just yet.
So, back to my new buddy I told you at the beginning of this blog, he was totally understand what I was talking about. As for him, he has this specific obsession toward numbers. Everything has to be even as he couldn't stand odd numbers. For example, if he put the telly on, he has to make sure that the volume level was on even number such as 6, 8, 10 and was never 7 nor 9. Some people will say that it was mad and maybe it is but I know for sure that this thing is something that us can not control. It all in our head and nothing we can do about it. In one of the article in a magazine, I read that David Beckham has this kind of obsession too, he couldn't stand odd numbers so if in the fridge there were three cans of coke, he has to drink one or through out one to make it even. Weird? Not so much if you get what this sort of abnormality was about.
Now, my new buddy and I then specified our conversation strictly about this issue that connected us one to another. He then informed me that this thing was actually genetic. He said that his daughter has the same thing as he has and actually even worst. I was like, "Really?" I mean, I don't reckon my folks have this OCD thing, nor my gramms either so where the heck did I get it from? OMG, am not an adopted daughter, am I? Ah, never mind. The thing is, I was still amazed of how this sort of weirdness bonded two different people from two different continents who live in two different time line, like me and my new dude, together. So unbelievably amazing on how people sometime get connected because of some unexpected thing. How bizarre! Totally beyond!

^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment